Thursday, January 17, 2013

Now A Few Words On Personal Growth

I've received a tremendous amount of feedback on my Facebook page and a couple thousand page views on the recent posts on Bible college.  The vast majority has been positive, and many constructive words of balance have been added as well. 

I know that almost every issue contains two sides.  While I try to do some justice to both sides, an attempt to stay focused on the issue at hand often leads me to deliberately neglect balancing truths.

One point that has been made often is some variation of this: "Education is important.  Without it, we become ingrown and closed-minded.  Have you seen uneducated leaders whose pride is in their lack of education?  It's not pretty."

This is an excellent point.  I have seen this, and it's horrible.  


Personal Growth
The solution?  Personal growth.  Not just spiritual growth -- personal growth.  Growth of the whole person, mind, will, emotions, body, spirit.

John Maxwell, in one of his lectures (I can't remember which one to give credit), tells the story of a man who came to him frustrated because he was passed over for a promotion to a leadership position.  He complained, "Don't they know I have 20 years experience?"  In his own blunt way, John Maxwell replied, "You don't have 20 years experience.  You have 1 year of experience 20 times!" 

If you're not growing, you're not leading.  You'll stop being a tour guide, and just be a travel agent, sending people where you've never gone.  

Here are a few thoughts on how to prevent this from happening to you: 

1. Read good books.  As many as you can.
John Wesley said in his advice to preachers, "Spend all the morning in [reading], or at least 5 hours in four-and-twenty."  Whoa.  I've had some folks ready to agree that kids should stay home from Bible college... but I don't know if they'd agree if I told them to read 5 hours a day instead.  I'll go one further: Read authors that stretch and challenge your thinking, even (at times) ones that disagree with you.  

2. Stretch yourself with experiences. 
I don't speak Spanish well.  But I go and pray with and TRY to communicate with Hispanic people at our Bread of Life Pantry two days a week.  Many of them are more comfortable in Spanish, so I do my best.  I do goof up.  I once referred to myself as "el pestor de la iglesia" which roughly translates to "the stinker of the church."  We all had a good laugh, and I grew. 

3. Process your experiences. 
For a good part of my ministry, I sat down once per week and wrote a page-long list of things I had learned that week.  It wasn't fancy, it was rather raw.  But it helped me grow.  

4. Don't waste your pain, sorrow and criticism. 
Some of the greatest chances to grow are in times where you hurt.  

5. Teach or mentor someone else.
A good teacher always learns more than the student.  This can be simple as sharing what you're learning across a coffee shop table, or as complicated as sharing it in a class with notes and Powerpoint.  But do it.


Conclusion: 
My biggest fear about changing the current system of Bible college:
That people will stop growing, because they lack the mindset to grow.

To all of you who so thoroughly agreed with the last two posts, examine yourself.  It's one thing to decide that Bible college isn't all it's cracked up to be.  But it's another thing entirely to decide that YOU will grow... and keep growing.

It's one thing to decide that our churches do need to step up and train leaders.  But are YOU growing as a leader?  Are you further up the road mentally, spiritually, emotionally than you were a year ago?  Can you teach that to someone else?  

Yours for growth,
Darrell

3 comments:

  1. yeeouch! Good thoughts. Bible college was great for me, and I got a lot of practical experience that was way out of my normal "comfort zone" at the ministry I was a part of. I needed that and needed to learn to accept that I was going to fail and feel awkward and get rejected if I was reaching out as much as I should. Getting out of my own little town with my "own" people was a great way for me to do that, but I totally agree with you that it does not work to count on Bible college to train all our leaders any more than it works to count on Sunday school to do all the training for us when it come to our children. Thankfully for me, my little church gave me the opportunity and encouragement to help with various ministries of the church even as a teenager and really tried to stretch me, and that training in the local church is so important. When that middle aged couple gets saved in your church and are displaying great leadership potential, it is not practical to tell them to leave their jobs and community and move near a Bible college then come back in 4 years when their kids are grown and they are no longer connected to the church. We do such a poor job of mentoring replacements or even helpers, in part because we expect those replacements and helpers to be 100% mature at birth and refuse to even consider giving them the smallest responsibility until they reach full maturity and come to see everything as we feel they "should." Lots of people move on to somewhere they feel needed long before then. It's true when you stop trying to help others grow, you often stop growing yourself. Great thoughts on all your "Bible college/local church" posts. -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent posts. The've made me think and challenged, even convicted me. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jessica. You make some great points there! I'm glad Bible college was a good experience for you (it was for me in most ways as well) and I'm glad you went back home and "got your hands dirty." Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete